|1885||Primer huevo imperial de gallina -||
El primer Huevo Imperial de Pascua de Faberge parecia exactamente eso, un huevo, cubierto de esmalte blanco, lucia un huevo de gallina perfecto, no obstante, cuando se abria revelaba un interior adornado, con una yema dorada que contenia una sorpresa, dentro de la misma habia una gallina de oro con rubies en los ojos, esa no era el final de la sorpresa, porque dentro de la gallina miniatura habia un pendiente con un rubi en forma de huevo que colgaba de una replica en diamantes de la Corona Imperial.
Peter Carl Fabergé creó este huevo como regalo para la familia Romanov. El zar Alejandro III se lo regaló a su mujer, la zarina Maria Feodorovna, en la Pascua de 1885.
Del tamaño de un huevo de gallina, una banda de oro en el centro descubre el sistema de apertura. En el interior se esconde una gallina pequeña de oro macizo. Tiene un valor de entre tres y cuatro millones de dólares.
|1886||Huevo de gallina con pendiente de zafiro (desaparecido)||Regalo Alexander III a Maria Fyodorovna
Hecho en San Petersburgo
Desafortunadamente, éste es uno de los Huevos perdidos. No se sabe ninguna información sobre este Huevo, salvo que es parte de los huevos dados por Alexander III a Maria y que fue hecho en San Petersburgo.
|1887||Huevo imperial azul con serpiente||Obsequiado por Alejandro III a María Fiodorovna. Huevo imperial azul con serpiente. Reproduce el estilo de la porcelana de Sevres. La serpiente es fija y fnciona como manecilla indicadora de la hora|
|1888||Huevo con querubín y carruaje (d) (f)|
|1889 5 Huevo del neceser (d) (f)|
|1890 6 Huevo de los palacios daneses|
|1891||Huevo Memoria del Azov||The Pamiat Azova (Russian: Память Азовa) was a unique armoured cruiser built for theImperial Russian Navy in the late 1880s. She was decommissioned from front line service in 1909, converted into a depot ship and sunk by British torpedo boats during the Baltic Naval War, part of the Russian Civil War.|
|1892 8 Huevo del enrejado de diamantes|
|1893 9 Huevo del Cáucaso|
|1894||Huevo del renacimiento||Fue el último de los huevos que el zar Alejandro III, que murió ocho meses después, regaló a su esposa. Fabricado en 1894, el esmalte que cubre el huevo está realizado con ágata blanca y la decoración es de oro e incluye piezas de joyería. Su precio es de cinco a siete millones de dólares. (Sotheby's)|
|Regalados por Nicolás II a su madre, la emperatriz María Fyodorevna|
|1895 11 Huevo de los 12 monogramas|
|1896 13 Huevo de Alejandro III con retratos|
|1897 15 Huevo malva (con miniaturas) (d)|
|1898 17 Huevo del pelícano de oro|
|1899 19 Huevo del pensamiento|
|1900||Huevo del gallito (conocido anteriormente por el "Reloj de Cuco")||Fabricado en 1890, hoy en día se calcula que vale entre cinco y siete millones de dólares. El huevo, de estilo barroco, está decorado con esmalte violeta y tiene un reloj de mesa en el frontal. Al presionar un pequeño botón de oro en la parte superior del huevo sale un cuco, que mueve sus alas.|
|1901 23 Huevo del Palacio de Gatchina|
|1902 25 Huevo imperial de nefrita (d)|
|1903 27 Huevo del jubileo danés (d) (f)|
|1906 29 Huevo del cisne imperial|
|1907 31 Huevo del trofeo del amor|
|1908 33 Huevo del pavo real|
|1909||Huevo conmemorativo de Alejandro III (d) (f)||
Gift Nicholas II to Maria Fyodorovna
The Alexander III Commemorative Egg was made of platinum, gold, white matt enamel, rose-cut diamonds and portrait diamonds. The Surprise was a miniature bust, made of lapis lazuli, gold and rose-cut diamonds.
The platinum Egg is completely covered in matt white enamel with gold lines. Lozenge-shape diamond clusters are positioned around the middle of the Egg, each with diamond-set baskets, flowers and ribbons. Portrait diamonds are set at either end, no doubt covering the monogram of the Dowager Empress and the date. Within the Egg there was a miniature gold bust of Alexander III on a lapis lazuli pedestal.
The Alexander III commemorative Egg is only known through a black and white Fabergé photograph, unfortunately not showing the surprise. This Egg has been out of public view since before the October Revolution of 1917.
|1910||Huevo de Alejandro III ecuestre||
Gift Nicholas II to Maria Fyodorovna
The 1910 Alexander III Equestrian Egg is made of rock crystal, platinum, portrait diamonds and rose-cut diamonds. The miniature statue is made of green gold, lapis lazuli and rose-cut diamonds.
The Egg, containing a gold replica of the monument to Alexander III by Peter Trubetskoy (1866-1938), rests on a rectangular base of lapis lazuli bordered by two rows of roses. The Egg is carved out of rock crystal and is covered with a platinum lace work strewn with roses. A large diamond surmounts the Egg and is engraved with the year "1910". The diamond is set in band of small roses, with a rosette border of platinum acanthus leaves. The two platinum double-headed eagles on the sides of the Egg have diamond crowns. The surface of the Egg between the eagles is engraved with branching patterns which are adjoined at the bottom. The lower hemisphere of the Egg served as a platform for the replica of the monument and is supported by cast platinum cherubs coiled into position on a base of crystal.
The Alexander III Egg is considered by many as one of the most beautiful Fabergé Eggs. The Egg was the fourth Egg made for the Dowager Empress to commemorate her late husband. The other three are the 1896 Alexander III Portraits Egg, the 1902 Empire Nephrite Egg and the 1909 Alexander III Commemorative Egg, all three missing or lost
The enormous statue of Alexander III, ordered by the Dowager Empress Maria Fyodorovna, on which the miniature is based, was made by Trubetskoi and unveiled in 1909.
The abundant use of platinum in this Egg may be misleading; platinum was in Russia at that time not regarded with the esteem reserved for gold. The Egg has no official state mark because platinum had no hallmark in Russia at that time.
The Alexander III Equestrian Egg was never sold and is retained since 1927 in what is nowadays the Moscow Kremlin Armoury Museum.
|1911|| Huevo del naranjo
(Bay Tree Egg)
En 1911, el zar Nicolás II encargó este huevo para regalarselo a su madre, Maria Feodorovna. Es una réplica en miniatura de un árbol tropical, y entre sus hojas (en esmalte verde) se engarzaron amatistas, rubíes y diamantes rosa que imitan frutas tropicales. El árbol tiene un botón escondido que, cuando se acciona, enseña una de las creaciones más maravillosas de Fabergé. Una parte de las ramas del árbol se eleva y empieza a sonar una música y un ruiseñor se mueve suavemente, mientras agita sus plumas y abre el pico. Puede valer entre 10 y 15 millones de dólares. (Sotheby's)
Gift Nicholas II to Maria Fyodorovna
The 1911 Bay Tree Egg, also known as Orange Tree Egg, is made of gold, green and white enamel, nephrite, diamonds, rubies, amethysts, citrines, pearls and white onyx.
The topiary tree formed as a profusion of carved nephrite, finely veined leaves and jeweled fruit and flowers on an intricate framework of branches, the fruit formed by champagne diamonds, amethysts, pale rubies and citrines, the flowers enameled white and set with diamonds, a keyhole and a tiny lever, hidden among the leaves, when activated open the hinged circular top of the tree and a feathered songbird rises, flaps its wings, turns its head, opens its beak and sings.
The gold trunk chased to imitate bark and planted in gold soil is contained in a white quartz tub applied with a gold trellis chased with flowerheads at the intersections and further applied with swags of berried laurel enameled translucent green and pinned by cabochon rubies, the central rubies edged by diamonds, each foot of the tub also applied with chased gold rosettes set with cabochon rubies and diamonds, the corners of the tub with pearl finials, the square carved nephrite base in two steps with a miniature nephrite fluted column at each corner set with chased gold mounts, each column with a gold cap surmounted by a pearl nestled in translucent green enamel leaves, the swinging gold chains between the columns formed as pearl flowers with translucent green enamel leaves, inscribed Fabergé in Cyrillic with the date 1911 on lower front rail of the tub
First known in 1935 as a Bay Tree Egg, this egg which had since 1947 been incorrectly labeled as an Orange Tree, was given by Tsar Nicholas to his mother the Dowager Empress on April 12, 1911.
The Egg was confiscated by the Provisional Government in 1917 and transferred from the Anchikov Palace to the Kremlin. It was one of nine eggs sold by Antikvariat to Emanuel Snowman of Wartski around 1927. It has since passed through the hands of five different owners and was sold by Mrs .Mildred Kaplan to Malcolm Forbes in 1965. 2004 sold by the Forbes' family to the Vekselberg Foundation/The Link of Times Foundation, Russia.
Gift Nicholas II to Maria Fyodorovna
The 1912 Napoleonic Egg is made of yellow gold, translucent emerald green, and ruby redenamel, rose-cut diamonds, velvet and satin. The miniature screen is made of yellow gold, rose-cut diamonds, platinum, translucent emerald green, and opaque white enamel, gouache on ivory.
Made for Dowager Empress Maria Fyodorovna, this Egg commemorates the centenary of Russia's victory over the armies of Napoleon and in particular the victory at Borodino in 1812. The Dowager Empress Maria served as honorary colonel for the six regiments depicted in watercolor, and her monogram decorates the back of each panel.
These panels, signed Vasilii Zuiev and dated 1912, form a screen whose hinges are ax-topped fasces, a warlike emblem in use since Roman times. Double-headed eagles and battle trophies embellish the green shell. Like enormous history-painting cycles from earlier centuries, the Napoleonic Egg celebrates past royal glories while appealing to Russian patriotism at a time when the Romanov dynasty once again faced the uncertainties of war.
The reverse of each panel is enameled in translucent opalescent white in which a crowned cyrillic script cipher of the Dowager Empress is centered. On top of the Egg, under a portrait diamond, the crown and the monogram of Maria Fyodorovna.
Maria Fyodorovna was a honorary colonel for six regiments and was very popular with the troops. They regarded her as the true Tsarina of Russia and certainly they did not view Alexandra in the same light!
The Napoleonic Egg is one of only two Imperial Easter Eggs for which design drawings have so far been found, the other being the 1909 Standart Egg.
In 1930 the Napoleonic Egg was one of the ten Eggs sold to the Hammer Galleries, New York. 1927 in a private collection. 1951 owned by Matilda Geddings Gray, oil-heiress. 1971 Collection of the late Matilda Geddings Gray, 1972 Matilda Geddings Gray Foundation, New Orleans Museum of Art, USA.
|1913 43 Huevo de invierno|
|1914||Huevo de Catalina la Grande o Grisalla|
|1915 47 Huevo de la Cruz Roja con retratos|
|1916||Huevo de la Orden de San Jorge/de la Cruz de San Jorge||Realizado en 1916, conmemora la presentación de la Orden de San Jorge a Nicolás II en 1915, que el zar lideró durante la Primera Guerra Mundial. El huevo está realizado en esmalte blanco, sobre el que se han pintado cuatro retratos. Su precio se calcula entre cuatro y seis millones de dólares.|
|1917 51 Huevo de abedul de Karelia (sin entregar a la Emperatriz María)|
|Regalados por Nicolás II a su esposa, la emperatriz Alejandra Feodorovna|
|1895||Huevo del capullo de rosa||Fue regalado por el zar Nicolás II a su esposa Alexandra en 1895. Está realizado con esmalte granate 'guilloché', sobre el que se engarzaron pequeñas piezas de oro y gemas preciosas. En su interior, como muchos de los huevos imperiales de Fabergé, guarda una pequeña sorpresa: una maravillosa rosa de esmalte amarillo. Su valor es de tres a cuatro millones de dólares.|
|1896 14 Huevo con miniaturas giratorias|
|1897||Fue regalado por Nicolás II a su esposa, la zarina Alexandra, como regalo de Pascua tras su coronación, en 1897. Está confeccionado con esmalte de oro, sobre el que se han engarzado diamantes para dibujar el escudo del águila imperial. El huevo se abre para mostrar en su interior una réplica de oro en miniatura del carruaje en el que Alexandra hizo su entrada en Moscú. Es el huevo más caro de la colección de Forbes, con un precio de entre 18 y 24 millones de dólares. El artesano que lo creó, George Stein, tardó 15 meses, trabajando 16 horas diarias, para completarlo.|
|1898||Huevo de los lirios del valle||Regalado a la zarina Alexandra en la Pascua de 1898. Es un huevo de esmalte de color salmón rosado tachonado con perlas y diamantes que imitan a los lirios de las flores del valle. Al presionar sobre una de las perlas de un lateral, se acciona un mecanismo que deja ver en la parte superior del huevo tres retratos en miniatura (detalle en la foto), pintados al óleo, del zar y sus dos hijas mayores, Olga y Tatiana. Su precio es de 12 a 18 millones de dólares.|
|1899 20 Huevo de los lirios de la Virgen|
|1900||Huevo del Transiberiano|
|1901 24 Huevo del cesto de flores|
|1902 26 Huevo del trébol|
|1903||Huevo de Pedro el Grande|
|1906 30 Huevo de la Catedral de Uspensky o del Kremlin|
|1907 32 Huevo del enrejado de rosas|
|1908 34 Huevo del Palacio Alejandro||
Gift Nicholas II to Alexandra Fyodorovna
The 1908 Alexander Palace Egg is made of nephrite (a sort of jade), gold, portrait diamonds, rose-cut diamonds, rubies and watercolor on ivory. The surprise, the miniature Alexander Palace, is made of varicolored gold, silver, rock crystal, green enamel, wood and glass.
The nephrite Egg is adorned with five miniature watercolor portraits of the children of Emperor Nicholas II and contains a replica of Alexander Palace at Tsarskoye Selo. The upper and lower sections of the egg are set with triangular diamonds bearing the initial AF (Alexandra Fyodorovna) and golden leaves and flowers composed of rubies and diamonds.
The remainder of the Egg's surface is divided by five vertical lines, studded with diamonds and connected with one another by gold garlands inlaid with rose and ruby flowers. In the spaces between the vertical lines are five miniature oval portraits of emperor Nicholas II's children, executed in watercolor. In a diamond monogram the first initial of the child represented. Inside the egg, on the reverse side of each portrait, is engraved the birth date of the person represented, framed by two branches tied into a bow: "Olga" - November 3, 1895; "Tatiana" - May 29, 1897; "Maria" - June 14, 1899; "Anastasia" - June 5, 1901; "Alexei" - July 30, 1904.
When opened, the Egg reveals a tiny detailed replica of Alexander Palace, the Imperial family's favorite residence at Tsarskoye Selo, and its adjoining gardens. It is executed in tinted gold and enamel, with windows of rock crystal; the roof is enameled in light green. The model is secured on a gold table with five high narrow legs. The inscription "The Palace at Tsarskoye Selo", enclosed in a laurel wreath, is engraved on the base.
The Invoice reads: "Nephrite egg with gold incrustations, 54 rubies and 1805 rose-cut diamonds, design with 2 diamonds and 5 miniatures of the Imperial children, containing a representation of the Alexander Palace in gold. St. Petersburg, 2 May 1908. 12,300 roubles."
1908-1917 - Kept in the Alexander Palace at Tsarskoye Selo. 1917 Confiscated by Kerensky's provisional government, along with other treasures, and taken from the Anchikov Palace to the Moscow Kremlin Armoury. The Alexander Palace Egg was never sold to the West and remained in Russia.
This Egg was another shrewd choice by Fabergé. The Alexander Palace was the Imperial family's favorite home, apart from the rather more informal palace Nicholas II would build at Livadia in the Crimea. Fabergé had use the "favored-residence theme" seven year earlier in the 1901 Gatchina Palace Egg for Maria Fyodorovna.
The modern stand for the Egg was made in 1989 at the Moscow experimental jewelry factory. The original stand is lost. The velvet base of the Egg's original carrying case is preserved and for many years was used as the stand for it.
|1909||Huevo del yate imperial Standart||
Gift Nicholas II to Alexandra Fyodorovna
The 1909 Standart Egg, also known as Standart Yacht Egg, is made of gold, diamonds, rose-cut diamonds, pearls, lapis lazuli, rock crystal and green and white enamel. The miniature yacht is made of gold, platinum and enamel.
The crystal Egg is horizontally mounted in gold and bears the inscription "Standart 1909" on the edge of the mount. A gold band, with inlaid leaves of green enamel and small diamonds, lines the perimeter of the egg. The bottom half of the Egg is decorated with a vertical gold band with inlaid designs. A crowned eagle of lapis lazuli is perched on either side of the Egg; a pear-shaped pearl hangs from each of them. The shaft consists of two lapis lazuli dolphins with intertwined tails. The oval base is of rock crystal with a wide band of white enamel inlaid with laurel garlands and bands of small diamonds with laurel branches in green enamel. An exact replica in gold of the yacht Standart rests inside the Egg on an oval base of rock crystal representing the sea.
The ca. 5,500 ton yacht Standart was commissioned by Alexander III in Copenhagen. It was first launched in 1895 and was 116 meters long, making it the largest yacht in the world at that time. It had thirty rooms, and a stable for a cow to ensure the imperial children of fresh milk! The yacht took the imperial family on frequent sorties along the Baltic and the Finnish coasts.
The 1909 Standart Egg was never sold and is one of the ten Imperial Easter Eggs in the Kremlin Armoury Museum in Moscow.
|1910|| Huevo de la columnata
This Egg is one of the "Clock Eggs".
Gift Nicholas II to Alexandra Fyodorovna
The 1910 Colonnade Egg is made of bowenite, quatre-couleur gold, rose-cut diamonds, silver-gilt, platinum, pale pink and white enamel.
Designed as a temple of love, this clock egg commemorates the birth of the long awaited heir to the throne, Alexei, in 1904. A silver-gilt cupid, a representation of the tsarevich, surmounts the gold Egg, which is enameled in opalescent pale pink and is encircled by a broad band of a white enameled dial, set with rose-cut diamond numerals. The little gold cupid originally had a twig in his hands that pointed the the our. Four silver-gilt figures, representing the Tsar's four daughters, are seated around the base and are linked by floral swags in quatre-couleur gold. Two platinum doves are perched within the circle of the columns.
There has been confusion for a long time, over whether the Colonnade Egg was the companion piece for the 1907 Love Trophies Egg, as both Eggs were thought to celebrate the birth of the heir. Recent research however indicates that this Egg was presented to Alexandra in 1910.
The Colonnade Egg demonstrates how important the birth of the Tsarevich was to the Romanov Dynasty. After the dead of his mother, Catherine the Great, Tsar Paul I decreed that women could no longer inherit the throne. Had the Imperial couple failed in having a son, Nicholas' younger brother Michael would have become Tsar.
In 1927 the Egg was one of the nine sold by the Antikvariat to Emanuel Snowman of Wartski in London. In 1929 sold to Queen Mary, UK. 1953 inherited by Queen Elizabeth II.
|1911||Huevo del decimoquinto aniversario||
En el 15 aniversario de su coronación, en 1911, la zarina Alexandra recibió este huevo, en el que se habían pintado 16 exquisitas miniaturas, cada una de ellas representando momentos históricos del mandato de su marido Nicolás. Las miniaturas están pintadas sobre un fondo de esmalte blanco, dividido en varios pequeños paneles separadas por hojas de laurel de esmalte verde. Cada uno de los pequeños retratos está rodeado de una corona de diamantes. Su valor está entre 10 y 15 millones de dólares.
Gift Nicholas II to Alexandra Fyodorovna
The 1911 15th Anniversary Egg is made of gold, translucent green enamel, opaque white enamel, opalescent oyster enamel, diamonds, rock crystal and watercolor on ivory.
The shell of this red gold Egg is divided into eighteen panels set with 16 miniatures, bordered by green enameled leafage wrapped with diamond-set ribbons at the intersections and enclosing sixteen miniatures by court miniaturist Vasilii Zuiev framed behind rock crystal. Seven oval portrait miniatures of the Imperial family within diamond-set borders and 9 larger panels depicting scenes from the life of Nicholas II. Two oval panels within diamond-set borders beneath the miniatures of Nicholas and Alexandra enclose the dates 1894, the date of the wedding of Nicholas and Alexandra, and 1911, the fifteenth anniversary of the coronation, each date above a ribbon inscribed Fabergé in Cyrillic.
The top of the Egg is inscribed with the Imperial monogram of Alexandra Fyodorovna below a table diamond encircled by a diamond-set border, the bottom of the Egg mounted with a diamond also encircled by a diamond-set border.
The seven oval portrait miniatures and the top and the bottom of the Egg are enameled translucent oyster over a guilloche ground, The interior of the Egg is marked with the initials of its workmaster, the dates 1908-1917 and the assay mark for St. Petersburg, 72 standard for 18 karat gold.
Below Tsar Nicholas II and the Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna
The Ceremonial Procession to the Uspensky Cathedral; The Moment of the Holy Coronation and the Ceremonial Reception of the Members of the First State Duma in the Winter Palace
The two scenes from the Coronation festivities of 1896, the procession to Uspensky Cathedral and the Coronation of the Tsar were moments of glory for the Imperial couple. Yet the young Tsarevich Nicholas was unprepared for his adored father's sudden death. This shy, intensely private man, most happy in the circle of his close family was thrust, unwillingly, into the limelight. He was initially terrorized by his overbearing three uncles and disliked his time consuming, frustrating duties. The Coronation ceremonies were followed the next day by the tragic events on Khodynka Meadow with over 1,000 dead, crushed, due to the incompetence of the Governor General of Moscow, the Tsar's uncle Grand Duke Sergei. This was generally interpreted as a bad omen for Nicholas' reign.
Following the humiliating defeat at the hand of the Japanese in early 1905, the cruelly suppressed uprising of January 22, 1905 (Bloody Sunday), the ensuing strikes and the assassination of Grand Duke Sergei, a Manifest was issued on October 30, 1905 transforming Russia from an absolute autocracy into a semi-constitutional monarchy. In May 1906 Nicholas gave his famous speech opening the Duma in the Throne Room, St. George Hall, in the Winter Palace on April 27, 1906. Zuiev's miniature is a copy of the photograph recording this occasion. Sadly, this historic opportunity, which could have changed the course of history and which was joyfully welcomed by many, was missed, when the Duma, after what the Tsar and Tsarina found were too great demands, was dissolved.
From left to right: The Transfer of the Relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov, The Opening of the Alexander III Bridge in Paris at which His Imperial Majesty was present and The Opening of the Monument in Poltava Commemorating the Two Hundredth Anniversary of the Battle of Poltava.
Transfer of the Relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov
Following the birth of four daughters in 1895, 1897, 1899 and 1901, the Tsar and Tsarina, on the suggestion Philippe Nizier Vachot, a hypnotist and apparent curer of nervous diseases, pressed for the Canonization of Seraphim of Sarov (1759-1833), a hermit and monk associated with many miraculous healings, including of two members of the Imperial family. Zuiev's miniature shows the transfer of the remains of the Saint into the cathedral of Sarov on July 19, 1903 in the presence of the Tsar, who recorded in his diary that they carried the coffin on a litter in a procession this time with the relics visible. “ One felt enormously inspired.” The Tsarina prayed for the Saint's intercession: the long-awaited male heir was born in 1904. She was convinced that it was “ Seraphim who had brought it about.” His birth, greeted with immense relief and joy, was to prove a mixed blessing. The ill health of the hemophiliac boy brought Rasputin on the scene, whose influence on the Tsarina and on Russian politics was to speed up the downfall of the Romanov dynasty .
The story goes that Seraphim reputedly predicted that his relics would disappear and Russia would then be plunged into a dark abyss. He also claimed his remains would be rediscovered and Russia would awaken to a new time of enlightenment. Seraphim's remains disappeared about 1918 and were relocated in 1990!
Alexander III Bridge Paris
The miniature of the Pont Alexandre III in Paris is shown with the Grand Palais in the background. Both buildings, which still stand today, were finished in time for the opening of the World Fair in early 1900. Nicholas and Alexandra had laid the foundation stone of the bridge in 1896, a visible symbol of the Franco-Russian alliance, among much fanfare. The Tsar and Tsarina were to have inaugurated the finished bridge at the opening of the World Fair on April 14, 1900, but were unable to attend – some said that the Tsarina feared an assassination attempt. Instead, the bridge was inaugurated in their name by the Russian Ambassador, Prince Ouroussov.
The Battle of Poltava
The year 1909 marked the bicentenary of the Battle of Poltava, in which Peter the Great with an army of 42,000 men and seventy-two cannons defeated King Charles XII of Sweden with his 27,000 soldiers and only four cannon on June 27, 1709. Thus ended the Great War of the North, establishing the position of Russia in Europe and giving Russia control over the Balkan States. To mark the occasion a large stone cross was erected over the so-called Swedish Grave, a mound sixty-five feet high, where the 1,345 Russian soldiers who died in the battle were buried. The remaining 16,000 Swedes surrendered three days after the battle. A major celebration was held in Poltava in 1909 to commemorate the event.
From left to right: Huis ten Bosch in the Hague – the site of the first Peace Conference, The Museum of the Emperor Alexander III in Saint Petersburg and The Unveiling of the Peter the Great Monument in Riga.
Paleis Huis ten Bosch
Huis ten Bosch at The Hague, the house at which the Peace Conference called by Queen Wilhelmina and Nicholas II in May 1899 was held. The participants were to agree on rules of warfare and establish a permanent court of arbitration. At this time the Tsar earned himself the title of “The Peacemaker.” Sadly, the arms race deplored by Nicholas was to involve the Tsar himself in a disastrous Russo Japanese War and lead him to fight his own belligerent cousin Kaiser Wilhelm II at the side of Russia's great French ally during the First World War, which ended with the disappearance of both great Empires. However the conference managed to establish the permanent court of arbitration, which still exists today!
Alexander III Museum
The Museum of Tsar Alexander III or Russian Museum is located in the New Michael Palace erected in 1819-1825 in the Tuscan style from designs by Carlo Rossi. It was built for the brother of Alexander I, Grand Duke Michael Pavlovich. In 1893 Tsar Alexander III decided to give St. Petersburg a museum of Russian art, the equivalent to Moscow's Tretiakov Gallery. After his father's death, Nicholas II saw the project to its completion. The building was converted into a museum beginning in 1895 and opened in 1898. It originally contained a collection of 2,500 Russian works of art assembled from Imperial palaces, the Hermitage, the Academy of the Arts and private collections and was open free to the public. Among its many treasures were paintings by Repin, Konstantin Makovsky, Surikov and Serov. Its first director was Grand Duke George Michailovich assisted by Count D. I. Tolstoi. Today the museum contains over 370,000 works of art.
Statue Peter the Great, Riga
Riga, situated at the mouth of the Dvina on the Baltic Sea was originally a German Hanseatic town, then Polish, and was captured by Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden, in 1621. In front of the old town at the end of the Alexander Boulevard stands a bronze equestrian statue of Peter the Great by Schmidt-Cassel, which was unveiled in 1910. It commemorates the victory of the Russian armies under General Sheremetiev on July 4, 1710 over the Swedes after an eight months siege to the city. Following the Peace of Nystadt in 1721, Livonia and its capital, Riga, were incorporated into the Russian empire. In the early twentieth century, Riga was, after St. Petersburg, the most important Russian commercial and industrial town on the Baltic Sea, with a population of half a million inhabitants, exports worth 225 million rubles and imports of 155 million rubles.
The statue was originally erected in Riga in 1910. But in 1915, during World War I, it was taken from its pedestal to be delivered to Russia as metal. It could have been melted into bullets had the boat carrying it from Riga to St. Petersburg not sunk off the coast of Estonia. In the early 1930s, a team of Estonia divers lifted it from the ocean floor and sold it back to Riga, where it remained as an ambivalently received guest. In 1994, Riga's then-mayor decided not to dismantle it because of its historical significance. Early 2002 the statue was taken down for renovations for Riga's 800th birthday celebrations when the city's Duma made the decision to send it to St. Petersburg for the city's 300th birthday in 2003.
The top of the Egg with Huis ten Bosch and the monogram of Alexandra Fyodorovna
The seven exquisite oval family miniatures by Vasilii Zuiev show all the family united, the apparently happy parents, the four beautiful daughters and the handsome son. Few were those who were initiated into the intense suffering of the parents occasioned by the Heir to the Throne's hemophilia. The boy's illness would in due course bring Rasputin on the scene with tragic consequences for the Imperial family.
Alexis Nikolaevich, Grand Duchesses Olga Nicholaievna, Tatiana Nicholaievna, Maria Nicholaievna and Anastasia Nicholaievna
It is not known how the 15th Anniversary Egg came to the West. Probably is was sold by a high Russian official to a friend in the United States, or it may have been bought by the Hammer Galleries of a Soviet trade official. 1966 sold by A la Vieille Russie to the Forbes Magazine collection, New York where it became Malcolm Forbes' favorite Egg. The Forbes Magazine Collection was the only collection in the world to have two Imperial Easter Eggs from the same year. They were the 1911 15th Anniversary Egg and the 1911 Bay Tree Egg. February 2004 sold by the Forbes' family to the Vekselberg Foundation/The Link of Times Foundation, Russia.
|1912||Huevo del Zarevich||
Gift Nicholas II to Alexandra Fyodorovna
The 1912 Tsarevich Egg is made of gold, lapis lazuli, portrait diamonds and brilliant diamonds. The Frame surprise is made of platinum, lapis lazuli, rose-cut diamonds and watercolor on ivory.
This Louis XV style Egg was carved from a superb block of lapis lazuli and ornamented with gold tracery of shells, scrolls, baskets of flowers, and cherubs. The crowned Imperial monogram AF (Alexandra Fyodorovna) and the year 1912 are shown under a rectangular portrait diamond surmounting the Egg. A large brilliant diamond is set in the base.
The surprise inside is the Russian double-headed Imperial eagle, covered front and back with 2000 diamonds, with a miniature portrait of the Tsarevich Alexei Nicholaevich on the eagle's chest. The reverse site of the miniature shows the back of the seven year old Alexei. The miniature is not signed and comparing the beauty of the Egg and the poor quality of the picture, it is assumed that the original painting got lost and was replaced by the present one.
The hemophilia of their only son, (the Imperial family kept it secret from the Russian people) was an enormous blow to the Imperial couple and it influenced the last twelve years of the Tsar's reign. Alexandra would devote the rest of her life to protecting her son, clutching at any hope offered by anyone, including Grigorii Rasputin. In 1911, on vacation in Spala, Poland, the Tsarevich suffered a severe hemorrhage that almost killed him. bulletins were issued about his state of health, without saying exactly what was the cause of the problem. The last Sacrament was administered and a notice announcing Alexei's death was prepared. The alexandra called on Rasputin who told her not to grieve: "the little one will not die". It was this crisis that brought Rasputin back to Imperial favor after a cooling down in the relationship after several prophecies from Rasputin failed to come true. now he had unparalleled influence on the Tsarina.
As Fabergé knew about it may very well be that he created this Egg to pay tribute to the remarkable recovery of Alex. The Tsarevich Egg was in any case Alexandra's most cherished Egg.
In 1930 one of the ten Eggs sold by the Antikvariat to the Hammer Galleries, New York. 1933 bought by Lillian Thomas Pratt. 1947 Collection of the late Lillian Thomas Pratt, willed to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, United States.
|1913 44 Huevo del tricentenario de los Románov|
|1914 46 Huevo del mosaico|
|1915 48 Huevo de la Cruz Roja con tríptico de la Resurrección|
|1916 50 Huevo militar de acero|
|1917 52 Huevo de la constelación del Zarevich (sin terminar)|
|1898||Huevo de la gallina|
|1899 2 Huevo de los doce paneles|
|1900 3 Huevo de la piña|
|1901 4 Huevo de la flor de manzano|
|1902 5 Huevo "Rocalla"|
|1903 6 Huevo bombonera|
|1904 7 Huevo del gallo cantor|
|Huevos de Calidad Similar a los Imperiales|
|1902||Huevo "Duquesa de Marlborough"|
|1902 Huevo-reloj Rothschild|
|1907 Huevo Yussupov|
|1914 Huevo de hielo de Alfred Nobel|
|(1885 - 1889)||Huevo de la Resurrección|
|Huevo de las flores de primavera (1899 - 1903)|
|Huevo de lapislázuli|
|Huevo acanalado de esmalte azul (1885 - 1891)|
|Huevo de gallina de Escandinavia/de Quisling (1899-1903)|
|Huevo del crepúsculo (1917)|